One more class down and only one more to go!
This week I had a really successful team project. I’m really glad that it went so well after that project at the Hackathon. I think I learned a lot from the experience.
One thing that is different is that at school I’m usually the team lead. In lots of my past experiences in work and school that has been the case as well. I’d really like to think I could follow as well, but it probably depends on the leader.
I set out at the beginning with the idea that we were here to have fun and not to worry about having the best project in the room. I did not want to be that stressed out over the team project because they don’t really grade them or anything. So I picked my teammates with that goal in mind, because they seemed okay with the lower expectations to begin with.
Over the course of the week we did manage to keep it fun for the most part. I think we kept things pretty well balanced between everyone on the group. Everyone did get to contribute something significant. I was pleased with that part, and it’s the main reason I call the project a success.
We had some features that we didn’t get implemented, but we had a pretty solid set of features that were working well for our demonstration. We had a major setback on the first day trying to get Angular to talk to Firebase and revised our project to use Ember instead. That left us with 2 days to complete the project and so I don’t think anyone feels bad about the missing features. It was a nice project for 2 days…
We could sign up users and log foods and activities for our demo. All 3 categories had full CRUD implemented. We also had some very solid design. Dean and Garrett did most of the design. Garrett made our custom Octocat with the weights and carrot as a logo. Alex got us some category icons and a drop-down menu (much harder than it should have been…but a good tool to have for future reference). He worked on an API that we didn’t get around to adding and did a significant amount of research about using a date/time picker, which we also did not have time to implement. I handled the database functions with some help from Garrett. And Dean did the bulk of the presentation on Thursday as well as some last minute CSS fixes Thursday morning.
It was nice to feel like we had a balanced group. Doing all the work can be fun and rewarding, but it sucks to sit around watching other people do all the work. I’m going to try harder to make future projects more like this one, even if it means a few less features at the end. At least while I’m in school…
Work is another matter. But I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. Maybe I will just work solo, right? Or the teams will be the kind where everyone gets a keyboard and tasks that match their skills…
I wasn’t expecting it to be as hard as it was. And I can’t say why it was so hard. I think it was partly timing. We were all getting kind of burned out about half-way through the class (at least me and the people I eat lunch with seemed to be there). Most were really happy about this weekend being a 3-day weekend because of the holiday. AND we get a week off during the next class for Thanksgiving. Very happy about that as well.
The constant “lost” feeling has to be part of what makes it seem so hard. I wish we had a whole 5 week class on all 3 of the frameworks, but we didn’t. (And it’s a good thing, because who needs to pay for another 2-3 months of training, right?) I think we are all anxious to get into paying jobs and catch up on some bills, or start growing the savings again. I know I am. Some of the personal stress in the past few weeks has been money related – or related to the lack of money and the need to pinch pennies all the time. I am looking forward to having a regular paycheck again and eliminating that stress from my life!
And Android. They called us all aside for a special standup where they told us how hard Android was and how much time it was going to take… and by the end of the standup I was wondering if I should have switched to the PHP/Drupal track when I had a chance…
But I’m doing the homework this weekend and it doesn’t seem that bad.
I got started on it Thursday afternoon at school. It’s not at all bad there. The computers all have Android Studio pre-installed and it runs fine there. My laptop is another story.
I’ve been downloading MORE stuff for Android Studio in hopes that maybe it’s what I need to be able to actually RUN the programs I’ve written on my phone, if not on the emulator. If it doesn’t work then I guess I can write the code out on my laptop and debug it at school. But I really would like to be able to develop full apps at home.
Chris says it must be a sign I need a “dev box”… but I don’t know where we would put another computer, especially one that wanted a desk to sit on! I might try installing Android Studio on HIS desktop machine though. I bet he’d be happy enough to be able to watch some TV in the evenings while I do my homework downstairs.